Learn Self Applied Balls In Sock Massage Technique
- Learn self applied massage,balls in sock technique to release trigger points. Trigger points are areas of pain throughout the body they can often be felt as a lump or can cause a twitch. To see if you have a trigger point push on the suspected spot. A trigger point is more than a tender nodule. It affects not only the muscle where the trigger point is located, but also causes “referred pain” in tissues supplied by nerves. Trigger points are located in a taut band of muscles fibers. The trigger point is the most tender point in the band. If it is a trigger point it will be more tender or sting & the referred pain will increase. When you locate and deactivate them using using my balls in a sock self applied technique and massage therapy.
- There is nothing worse than trigger points they can cause gluteal pain, pain in your mid scapula/shoulder blade, mid and lower back and hip pain. I have had clients with knots that they thought might have been tumors. Trigger points can occur from improper breathing, stress and repetitive sports and motion. What seems to be knots occur and they can cause debilitating pain. I always suggest to people the strong need with the stresses of today to get a massage therapy once a month. These so called knots can be prevented if we do not wait until we reach a chronic stage. The self applied techniques with balls in a sock can help you to help yourself.
- This is how to get to those hard to reach areas that need to to have pressure point release/ trigger point release. Take a tennis ball/golf ball/ Lacrosse ball-( remember the amount of pain you can tolerate! ) Always using static pressure, which means direct pressure not rolling around on the balls. This is not going to feel joyful it will hurt but, it should be a good hurt and DO NOT put the balls on your spine. If you are having mid back pain have the balls on either side of the spine.
- Setting up: Put the balls in the sock on a hardwood floor or very low pile carpet. Then you have to situate the balls onto the point of pain and you will know this because it will hurt there. If you move an inch up you might not feel any pain, that is letting you know you are off the trigger point that you need to have the ball/balls on. Once you are on that spot lower your body gradually allowing more and more pressure and remember to breath. Stay there statically as long as the pain persists. It can take up to 30 second to a minute for the trigger point to release and sometimes the relief is amazing! Your balls in a sock self applied massage can go anywhere with you too.
- You can also do this while you are sitting in a hard chair and yes… sit on it! There are a lot of Trigger Points that you can release so experiment. When you go directly into the pain with a tennis ball, golf ball, elbow or Massage tool they release after a short period of time, which is called Trigger Point Therapy. I use this method in your Massage treatment) You can position the ball (Tennis or Golf) against the back of your chair by your shoulder blades and lean into the ball.
- The Glutes are an area of high tightness. Yes we are all a bunch of tight asses! This is either from sitting to much or it can be from sports too. Get out your yoga mat and use on of the balls in you set and again with static pressure apply to the area’s from the hip and follow the top of your sacrum and then directly into the sides of your glutes/butt. This does hurt but it certainly can help from getting sciatica to major low back pain. It will help you trust me here.
How to make this contraption:
- Take two balls Tennis, Golf or lacrosse balls put one ball into the toe of the stocking and I tie three knots. then you put the other same type of ball in and tie the end close to the ball in another knot and cut the rest of the stocking off. . Remember to pull the balls close enough together to fit your back so that the balls are on either side of the spine. NOT ON THE SPINE. Locate the area of pain and fix the balls so they are directly on the painful spot and allow your body weight to push into the Trigger Point for relief. It is always good to have a helper but learning these self applied massage techniques to help yourself, with balls in a sock.
- Please click on the bodies below to enlarge to see where trigger points are located: